So, your dough has risen and rested. Now it’s time to get to the good part—grilling. Well, eating is really the good part, but the cooking part is fun, too.
4. Heat your grill (I’m a gas-grill kinda gal. I know charcoal is preferable for many reasons, but man, the gas grill is so easy. . . ) so that one side is on high and the other on med-low. Make sure the grates are clean.
5. Now that your dough has sat out at room temperature for 45 minutes or so, plunk it down onto a lightly floured surface and cut it in half. Take out your rolling pin and roll it on out. You should be able to roll it out as thinly as you like. If it resists and pulls back, just cover it with a towel and let it rest for 5 more minutes, then try again.
6. Before you toss the dough onto the grill, get all your toppings readied and waiting next to the grill. Dip a paper towel in some olive oil and oil the grates. Take the rolled-out dough and lay it gently on the hot side of the grill. Close the grill cover. Wait about 5 minutes, then using your tongs, check the underside of the dough to see if you have nice grill marks and the dough is ready to be flipped over.
7. Flip the dough over, move to the med-low side of the grill. Add your toppings and close the grill. Check every 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and it’s cooked to your liking. If the dough starts to get overcooked on the bottom, just adjust your heat.
8. Take your pizza off the grill, cool slightly, slice, EAT and ENJOY!
Once you get the hang of it, grilling pizza is way fun. You can make the dough in larger batches, or freeze it, then just add whatever veggies you’ve got on hand with a little cheese and you’re happy-happy!
Now, go forth and grill!
Here’s a great recipe I found on pizzamaniac.com for BBQ Chicken Pizza. You can grill the chicken, then the pizza for double-grill action!
If you are baking your pizza in the oven, a baking stone is a must. Here’s a great one from kingarthurflour.com (my preferred flour brand). Mine are what you might call, “well lovedâ€ so I may order one myself.